What Are the Best Things to Do in Boothbay Harbor, Maine?
Our treasured location at the top of McKown Hill is the perfect spot for a relaxing vacation with a short walk to all the best things to do in Boothbay Harbor, Maine. Any visitor is sure to find an endless list of possibilities and unique experiences waiting for them here. Pull up a chair at top-rated restaurants, browse local boutique shops, tour art galleries, or enjoy a peaceful stroll across the famous footbridge. Plus, the views along the waterfront are always within reach.
With so many delightful adventures in our area, we simply can’t fit them all on one page. Scroll down to see some of our favorites, but don’t forget to claim our free Vacation Guide to discover even more. From brewery tours to oyster festivals, Boothbay Harbor has it all.
Enjoy Some of the Best Things to Do in Boothbay Harbor, Maine
Relax on the Water
A trip to Midcoast Maine isn’t complete without taking advantage of the scenic waterfront area. There are dozens of exciting opportunities to step aboard a boat and enjoy a unique ride to historical sites, lighthouses, and islands. Head to the pier at the bottom of our hill and try some of these adventures:
- Rent a kayak and explore the area on your own, or enjoy a guided boat tour in Boothbay Harbor.
- Set sail on a local schooner for an up-close look at lighthouses, historic sites, and wildlife. Keep your eyes peeled for a glimpse of seals and porpoises.
- Let an experienced naturalist guide you in search of whales, seals, puffins, and more.
- Take a day trip to magical Monhegan Island and hike through serene trails or snap pictures of the cliffs. Afterward, quench your thirst with a refreshing brew from Monhegan Brewing Company.
- Feast at a traditional New England clambake after a short boat ride.
- Experience the timeless tradition of lobstering in Maine.
- Visit beautiful lighthouses, including the Burnt Island Lighthouse, Hendricks Head Lighthouse, or Pemaquid Point Lighthouse.
- Enjoy a picnic and view fascinating wildlife on the picturesque Damariscove Island.
- Reel in some brag-worthy catches on a Maine fishing adventure.
Check out Unique Attractions on Land
You can still have a one-of-a-kind Maine experience while keeping your feet on dry land. An abundance of popular options are just a short drive away from the Topside Inn:
- See what’s in bloom at the incredible, 250-acre Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens.
- Try a variety of unique wines along the Maine Wine Trail.
- Hike through 30 miles of nature trails preserved and protected by Boothbay Region Land Trust.
- Walk over to Barrett Park and enjoy a picnic and a dip in the water at the head of Linekin Bay.
- Head to Ocean Point, walk along the seawall and take in the views. Stop at East Boothbay General Store for a treat while you’re there.
- Learn more about marine species at the Maine State Aquarium or the weekly Cafe Scientifique lectures sponsored by Bigelow Laboratory.
- Antique car enthusiasts, railroad fans, and history buffs can all enjoy Boothbay Railway Village.
- Hit the links at Boothbay Harbor Country Club, a championship 18-hole course with challenging holes on par with the breathtaking vistas.
Attend Exciting Events and Festivals
Dive into our local culture and immerse yourself in the excitement of our seasonal celebrations. You’ll find no shortage of entertainment here, and you’re sure to leave with lasting memories.
- Join us for yearly opening parties as we open our doors and welcome guests for another fantastic season at Topside Inn.
- Don’t miss a show at the historic Opera House, a unique venue for any performance. Their summer calendar has several must-see events.
- Earn your spot as the putt-putt champion at Dolphin Mini Golf, ranked one of the top 10 mini-golf courses in the country. They host an open tournament every year during the weekend after Labor Day.
- Check out the revue at Carousel Music Theater or the summer theater show at the Boothbay Playhouse.
- Join us for boat parades and fireworks displays at the Windjammer Days Festival.
- Watch top chefs goes head to head with tasty lobster bites in the Annual Claw Down competition.
- Taste some local flavor and browse through creative vendors at the ten-day Boothbay Harbor Fest.
- Enjoy oysters any way you want them at the Pemaquid Oyster Festival.
- Welcome the new season at Boothbay Railway Village’s Fall Foliage Festival.
- Explore giant pumpkin carvings and pumpkin boat races during the Damariscotta Pumpkinfest.
- Kick off the holiday season with carriage rides, tree lightings, and caroling during the Harbor Lights Festival.
- Discover endless amounts of holiday cheer and natural beauty during Gardens Aglow at Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens.
- Enjoy sweet creativity at the Annual Gingerbread Spectacular.
- Stroll through rows of decorated Christmas trees when you attend the Festival of Trees.
- Catch the latest blockbuster at the small-town, one-screen Harbor Theater.
- Keep an eye on the calendar for spectacular events at Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens.
- Gain a new appreciation for nature with the Boothbay Land Trust’s beautiful excursions and educational adventures.
Browse Art Galleries and Shops
There’s something for everyone amongst the shops, art galleries, boutiques, and merchants in Boothbay Harbor. If you’re not a shopper, you can still find something fun to do downtown. You can almost always grab some ice cream or take a relaxing stroll. Check out some of our favorite establishments here, starting from the bottom of our hill.
- Discover unique coastal-inspired accessories by local artist, Alison Evans, at AE Home.
- Find home decor and gifts and art at Coastal Interiors and Abacus Gallery.
- Visit Memorial Library’s Used Bookstore to find your next bit of leisurely reading.
- Artistic offerings abound. Start at the Boothbay Region Art Foundation, then cross the footbridge to see our friends at Joy to the Wind Gallery. First Friday art walks are a great way to visit with artists and tour studios.
- Help yourself to frozen treats at the Ice Cream Factory and WannaWaf.
- Find mouthwatering desserts at Eventide Specialties, Coastal Maine Popcorn, and Orne’s Candy Store.
Explore the Nearby Area
Boothbay Harbor is ideally situated as a base for exploring the midcoast region. Plan to stay a while — there is some great exploring to do. We have everything you need right here in Boothbay Harbor, but if you want to venture out and explore further, stop by some of these attractions:
- If you travel south, check out Wiscasset for excellent shops and the Castle Tucker and Nickels-Sortwell House museums.
- Historic Bath and the Maine Maritime Museum are a great day-trip destination.
- Our rocky coastline offers few sandy beaches, but Popham State Beach and Reid State Park are on peninsulas south of Bath.
- Brunswick has a lively Maine Street, great restaurants, the Maine State Music Theater, and Bowdoin College.
- The midcoast shopping mecca Freeport, home to LL Bean and 200 other upscale outlets, can be reached in 45 minutes or less.
- Drive the River Road north to Damariscotta, and on down to Pemaquid Lighthouse, one of the most photographed locations in Maine.
- Visit nearby Rockland for the Farnsworth Museum, Owl’s Head Transportation Museum, a fun visit in town, and possibly dinner at Primo.
Experience It All at Topside Inn
When it’s time to book your lodging in Maine, look no further than the Topside Inn. Our bed and breakfast in Boothbay Harbor has everything you need for a memorable stay. Enjoy airy, coastal-themed guest rooms, top-of-the-line amenities, and a delicious three-course breakfast each morning. If you’re not sure where to start, we’re always happy to help. We offer on-site concierge services to help plan your day and maintain a bulletin board of current activities to reference at your convenience.
All of these incredible attractions are waiting for you in Boothbay Harbor, and we’re here to help make your trip perfect from start to finish. Book your stay today and get one step closer to our Midcoast Maine paradise.