Recipes from the Kitchen of Topside Inn
“Over Easy & Over the Top”
“We thought it would be fun to share some recipes from our recently published cookbook with you. Check back often for more of our favorite recipes. Send us a photo of anything you make, and we may even share it on social media. Enjoy.”
– Mark & Buzz
Lemon Blueberry Zucchini Cake
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 1 hour | Cooling time: 10 minutes | Total time: 1 hour 25 minutes
For the bread, you will need:
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 T vanilla extract
- zest of 2 lemons
- 3 cups flour
- 1 ½ t baking powder
- ¼ t baking soda
- 1 t salt
- 2 cups grated zucchini, drained by twisting in a clean towel
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries, lightly coated in flour
For the glaze, you will need:
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
- In a large bowl, cream together oil, sugar, eggs, vanilla, and lemon zest until combined.
- Fold in zucchini.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together dry ingredients.
- Slowly add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir just until combined.
- Fold in blueberries and pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 50 – 60 minutes or until the toothpick comes out clean.
- Let rest in pan for 5 – 10 minutes and remove from pan to cooling rack.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Combine glaze ingredients and drizzle over cooled cake.
- Coating the blueberries with flour is a neat trick which stops all the blueberries from sinking to the bottom of the batter and, therefore, all being on the top of the cake.
- Because I am making this cake as an accompaniment to breakfast, I use a simple lemon glaze. This cake could also make a delicious dessert (we know because we made one for the staff). To make it a delicious dessert, use 2 (greased and floured) 8-inch round pans, decrease the baking time to 30-40 minutes, and top each layer with my Lemon Cream Cheese Buttercream Frosting…Yum!
A Sweet Treat from Topside Inn
If you’ve fallen in love with this or any of our other signature dishes, head over to our online shop and purchase a copy of our cookbook, “Over Easy & Over the Top.” Inside you’ll find pages of sweet and savory recipes from Topside Inn. This way, whenever you’re reminiscing about Boothbay Harbor, you can enjoy a special treat in the comfort of your home.