“Over Easy & Over the Top – Recipes from the kitchen of Topside Inn”
We thought it would be fun to share some of the recipes from our recently published cookbook with you. Please check back often as we will be changing the recipe every week or so through the spring. Please send us a photo of anything you make so we can share it on social media. Enjoy.
– Mark & Buzz
Lemon Blueberry Zucchini Cake
Preheat oven to 350 degrees, grease and flour Bundt pan
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 T vanilla extract
- zest of 2 lemons
- 3 cups flour
- 1 ½ t baking powder
- ¼ t baking soda
- 1 t salt
- 2 cups grated zucchini, drained by twisting in a clean towel
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries, lightly coated in flour
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
- In a large bowl, cream together oil, sugar, eggs, vanilla, and lemon zest until combined
- Fold in zucchini
- In a separate bowl, whisk together dry ingredients
- Slowly add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir just until combined
- Fold in blueberries and pour batter into prepared pan
- Bake for 50 – 60 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean
- Let rest in pan for 5 – 10 minutes and remove from pan to cooling rack.
- Allow to cool completely
- Combine glaze ingredients and drizzle over cooled cake
- Yield: one cake
- Coating the blueberries with flour is a neat trick which stops all the blueberries from sinking to the bottom of the batter and, therefore, all being on the top of the cake.
- Because I am making this cake as an accompaniment to breakfast I use a simple lemon glaze. This cake could also make a delicious dessert (we know because we made on for the staff). To make it a delicious dessert, use 2 (greased and floured) 8 inch round pans, decrease the baking time to 30-40 minutes, and top each layer with my Lemon Cream Cheese Buttercream Frosting…Yum!