If there is one delicacy that has become synonymous with Maine, it’s lobster. This local crustacean is often an attraction in itself for many visitors. Some people can’t wait to get their hands on a fresh, buttery lobster roll for lunch or crack open some deliciousness for a classic, New England dining experience. Others may want to try lobster fishing in Maine to learn more about the industry and immerse themselves in a vital piece of our local culture. Luckily, there are several opportunities for you to do that here in Boothbay Harbor, ME.
Find out more about great things to do in Boothbay Harbor, ME, by requesting a copy of our free Vacation Guide! It’s full of excellent recommendations and information on fishing trips, boat tours, island excursions, and more near Topside Inn. It’s the key to a stress-free planning process, and the result is an incredible getaway!
Maine Lobster Fishing Regulations You Should Know
There are a few rules and regulations that you should know before you plan an extravagant lobster fishing trip of your own. For starters, you can’t legally go lobstering unless you’re a licensed fisherman. And, acquiring a Maine lobster fishing license of your own isn’t easy. In fact, you can’t receive one at all if you aren’t a state resident. However, that doesn’t mean your lobster-fishing dreams are crushed just yet.
How to Take Lobster Fishing Trips in Maine
We have good news for you — you can still climb aboard a Boothbay Harbor cruise with a licensed lobsterman to learn more about the industry. You’ll see lobstering first-hand, help inspect traps, learn about this unique crustacean, and more. Here are some of the best options for a lobster fishing trip in the Boothbay Harbor area:
- Sail Muscongus: Combine the thrill of sailing with the fun of lobstering aboard Sarah Mead! It’s a fully restored wooden sailboat that is considered “Maine’s last and only sailing lobster boat.”
- Go Lobstering!: Captain Clive Farrin offers another excellent option for aspiring lobster fishermen and curious visitors. Feel free to make reservations for a one hour tour that includes beautiful scenery, hands-on experiences, and education on all things lobstering from baiting traps to preparing lobsters for market.
- Cap’n Fish’s: Not only does this tour offer insight into the fascinating world of lobstering, but it also includes some scenic sights of seals basking on rocks along the water, two lighthouses, and views of the inner and outer harbor from the Maine lobster boat.
Treat Yourself to Delicious, Freshly Caught Lobster
Are you more interested in enjoying the fresh flavors of lobster than actually going on a lobster fishing trip in Maine? If so, skip right to the chase and dig into a hearty helping of Maine lobster. There are so many great Boothbay Harbor restaurants to recommend that it’s tough to know where to start! Here’s a small taste of the local eateries that serve up tasty lobster rolls and dishes:
- Shannon’s Unshelled
- Boothbay Lobster Wharf
- Boathouse Bistro
- Kaler’s Crab and Lobster House
- Carriage House Restaurant
- And, so many more!
Enjoy the Ultimate Boothbay Harbor Experience at Topside Inn
When you visit Boothbay Harbor for a lobster-filled getaway, consider staying with us at Topside Inn! Our property is a short walk from the center of town and the harbor, and it provides unbeatable views of the harbor, especially at sunset. Plus, you can admire — and even taste the fresh flavors — of our pristine gardens. Breakfasts are included in your stay, and we love to use local ingredients, including some from our very own plants. It doesn’t get fresher than that!
Join us for a restful nights sleep in our variety of accommodations, wake up to a gourmet breakfast, then set out to explore all the activities our area has to offer. Room 8 is an excellent example of the options you have to choose from at Topside Inn. This “junior suite” has been completely renovated and features beautiful furnishings, original artwork, a cozy sitting area, and a spacious deck with stunning views of the waterfront.
Book your stay today and begin exploring Boothbay Harbor, Maine!