There is one delicacy that has become synonymous with Maine; of course, it’s lobster. This local crustacean is often an attraction in itself for visitors and locals alike. Some people can’t wait to get their hands on a buttery lobster roll for lunch, while others prefer a fresh lobster dinner for a classic New England experience. No matter your preference, one thing is for sure, lobster fishing in Maine is a vital element of our local culture. Luckily, Boothbay Harbor offers visitors several opportunities to learn about the lobster industry and dive into the world of lobster fishers.
Find out more about great things to do in Boothbay Harbor by requesting a copy of our free Vacation Guide! It’s full of excellent recommendations and information on fishing trips, boat tours, island excursions, and more near Topside Inn. Our guide is the key to a stress-free planning process, and the result is an incredible getaway!
Lobster Fishing in Maine: What to Know Before Your Trip
Each year, lobster fishing in Maine produces nearly 100 million pounds of lobster. These statistics make Maine the leading lobster fishing state by far. For that reason, the popular crustacean is crucial to the state’s economy. So, before you set your lobster traps and catch lobster on your own, you should know that the Maine Department of Marine Resources only extends fishing licenses to state residents. However, that doesn’t mean your lobster-fishing dreams are crushed! Several local businesses offer an array of tours where visitors can learn about lobster and other marine life.
Where to Take Lobster Tours in Maine
We have good news for you — you can still climb aboard a Boothbay Harbor cruise with a licensed lobsterman to learn more about the industry. You’ll see lobstering first-hand, help inspect traps, learn about the unique crustacean, and more. Here are some of the best options for a lobster fishing trip in the Boothbay Harbor area:
- Sail Muscongus: Combine the thrill of sailing with the fun of lobstering aboard Sarah Mead! It’s a fully restored wooden sailboat that is considered “Maine’s last and only sailing lobster boat.“
- Go Lobstering!: Captain Clive Farrin offers another excellent option for aspiring lobster fishermen and curious visitors. Feel free to make reservations for a one-hour lobster boat tour that includes beautiful scenery, hands-on experiences, and education on all things lobstering, from baiting traps to preparing lobsters for the market.
- Cap’n Fish’s: Not only does this tour offer insight into the fascinating world of lobstering, but it also includes some scenic sights of seals basking on rocks along the water, two lighthouses, and views of the inner and outer harbor from the Maine lobster boat.
- Lucky Catch Cruises: Pair the rocky shores of Casco Bay with an unforgettable lobstering cruise. The journey will give guests up-close views of Maine’s most scenic points like the Portland Headlight and the granite walls of Fort Gorges.
- Downeast Boat Company: Dive into the world of lobster fishermen and women a working Maine lobster boat. The 34-foot Summer Wind vessel will take guests on a nearly two-hour lobster harvest tour. Learn how to haul traps, measure the catch, and prepare live lobster for the market.
Treat Yourself to Delicious, Freshly Caught Lobster
Are you more interested in enjoying the fresh flavors of lobster than actually going on a lobster fishing trip in Maine? If so, skip right to the chase and dig into a hearty helping of fresh Maine lobster. There are so many great Boothbay Harbor restaurants to recommend that it’s tough to know where to start! Here’s a small taste of the local eateries that serve up tasty lobster rolls and dishes:
When you visit Boothbay Harbor for a lobster-filled getaway, consider staying with us at Topside Inn! Our property is a short walk from the center of town and the harbor, and it provides unbeatable views of the harbor, especially at sunset. Plus, you can admire — and even taste the fresh flavors — of our pristine gardens. Breakfasts are included in your stay, and we love to use local ingredients, including some from our very own plants. It doesn’t get fresher than that!
Join us for a peaceful night’s sleep in our variety of accommodations, wake up to a gourmet breakfast, then set out to explore all the activities our area has to offer. Room 8 is an excellent example of the options you have to choose from at Topside Inn. This bright and airy suite has been completely renovated and features beautiful furnishings, original artwork, a cozy sitting area, and a spacious deck with stunning waterfront views.
Check our availability and book your stay today. We are excited for you to begin exploring Boothbay Harbor, Maine!