Friendly people, unique attractions, and incredible natural beauty make up a recipe for one of the best small towns in Maine, and Boothbay Harbor has it all. Our beautiful area is full of culture and excitement while maintaining its small-town charm. Find out precisely what makes our coastal town so picture perfect and come see it all for yourself.
To start planning your next visit and get a glimpse of our unique small-town experience, request access to our free Boothbay Harbor Vacation Guide! Inside you’ll find the details on all the best attractions, eateries, entertainment, art galleries, and more!
What Makes Boothbay Harbor One of the Best Small Towns in Maine?
Endless Outdoor Activities & Attractions
Our town may be small, but it’s full of exciting possibilities. There are so many fantastic things to do in Boothbay Harbor and the surrounding area. You can take a ride on a local schooner, tour our historic lighthouses, stroll through botanical gardens nearby, and so much more. Be sure to check out our favorite outdoor adventures during your next visit. They may become your new favorites as well:
- Monhegan Island | 18 hiking trails, ideal for observing wilderness areas, cliffs, and crashing waves.
- Maine State Aquarium | Find out what underwater wildlife call the coast of Maine their home in these exhibits.
- Whale Watching Cruise | Venture 20-miles off the coast of Maine to spot whales, dolphins, seals, and more.
- Maine’s lighthouses | Explore more than 60 beacons in the Lighthouse State, and learn each one’s unique history.
- Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens | Stroll through 240 acres of gardens and spot thousands of flowering plants from May through October.
- Boothbay Railway Village | Take a ride on authentic steam and diesel locomotives for a truly unique experience.
A Remarkable Culinary Scene
Boothbay Harbor is quickly becoming a foodie destination. If you enjoy fresh seafood, tasty wines, craft beers, and of course, lobster rolls, you’re sure to have a fantastic time here. When you explore our local restaurants, you can enjoy friendly service and find menus full of creative dishes. These are a few of our go-to spots:
- Boat House Bistro
- Ports of Italy
- Shannon’s Unshelled
- Cabbage Island Clambakes
- Boothbay Craft Brewery
- Maine Wine Trail
Unique Events and Festivals
Our wonderful harbor town community comes together for some must-see events to celebrate our local culture, food, and entertainment. You’re always welcome to join us for boat parades, craft beer festivals, live music performances, and more. We hope to see you at the next celebration:
- Windjammer Days Festival | Kick off the summer in Boothbay Harbor at Windjammer Days, an annual festival that showcases our region’s maritime history.
- Boothbay Harbor Fest | This popular celebration brings locals and visitors together for ten days of Maine’s famous food, music, and art.
- Pemaquid Oyster Festival | Enjoy Pemaquid Oysters fried, baked, or on the half shell with a great lineup of musicians and live entertainment as a backdrop.
- Fall Foliage Festival | The perfect opportunity to immerse yourself in Maine’s stunning autumn scenery.
Of course, to be one of the best small towns in Maine, it needs to have a comfortable place to stay so visitors can enjoy it all. At Topside Inn, we’re happy to provide you with a superb lodging experience from the moment you walk through our door.
Our historic inn sits on top of McKown Hill at the highest point in this gorgeous seaside town, offering unmatched panoramic ocean views from just about anywhere on the property! So, whether you’re enjoying a complimentary breakfast, enjoying a drink at bar one, sitting in a rocking chair on the porch, or unwinding in our wonderful accommodations, you can admire Mother Nature’s stunning beauty from the comfort of Topside Inn!
Check our availability and book your stay at the best bed & breakfast in Boothbay Harbor today! We can’t wait to meet you.